analytics

18 Aug 2011

Foodie Fun with Rachel's Dairy...

I love cooking with yogurt as Misteright can't have cream or milk. I make smoothies freeze them instead of ice creams and I also use yogurt in salad dressings and marinades, not to mention in curry and raita so when Rachel's Organic Dairy offered to send over some of their organic yogurts for us to try I was delighted, as was Misteright!  They also sent a few Summer recipes that I can share with you lot!
 I monstered my way through the organic thick and creamy forbidden fruits posts.  I was sent one of each flavour, Peach, Cherry and Strawberry and the verdict is that they are all totally delicious!  Totally fruity and most definitely thick and super creamy.  I love yogurts and I seriously can't believe I have never seen these, EVER.  It states on the website you can get them from Tesco and Sainsbury's but I have not seen them there before.   It's a crime against delicious dairy products if you have never tasted these either. Worry not though, click this link for a list of  retailers so you can get it where ever you may be!  The funky black pots have also doubled up as seed propagators for my chilli's!  If I was forced to chose my favourite of the three flavours, it would have to be the peach, for the sole reason that peach yogurt rocks!  

I was also sent 2  packs of rice pudding, eugh is all I have to say about anything with rice as a pudding, it's a staple that goes with curries and kedgeree, not as a dessert.  I gave them to Strawberry as she LOVES rice pud, but then again she grew up in Mining Country so she's used to it, or so she says!  Strawberry said that the divine toffee ones were excellent, loads of toffee was swirled into the pud rather than under it like some other brands and that apparently requires too much effort so swirling is good!  Strawberry took the plain ones home and told me she ate one hot and one cold.  Again, a taste sensation for her. On the other hand I am thinking yuck, yuck, yuck as I am typing this!  Some things are just wrong and rice pudding is one of them, no matter how delicious other people tell me it is.  Eugh.  Enough of rice pudding now, moving swiftly on...

The rest of the box had a rather random combination of pots inside, there was a rhubarb yogurt!  I had never thought about a rhubarb yogurt before and K always refuses to eat rhubarb, even if it is really good for you!  The question is, what am I going to do with it?  I'll have to get back to you on that one!

The Raspberry yogurt was a better bet, everyone likes raspberries!  I had loads of black and spotty bananas that I brought home from work so it had to be some kind of smoothie!  Well, it's Summer and K has a bit of a thing for smoothies and we make any left overs into Popsicles using a lolly mould.  There isn't usually any leftover though! 

So to make a super delicious Rachel's Raspberry and Banana Smoothie here's what you need...

1 x pot of Rachel's Organic Low Fat Raspberry Yogurt
4 x Black and spotty bananas, the blacker, the better

So it's so simple, you put it all in the food processor and turn it on, and whizz it for a few minutes then pour into a glass!  This makes about 2 pints of smoothie!


I found a recipe to use the rhubarb yogurt in the Rachel's Summer Recipe Section of  the RachelsOrganic.co.uk website!  The recipe is for Rhubarb & Raspberry Crumble Muffins!  They look amazing! 
 Ingredients
75g  plain flour
65g  unsalted butter
50g  caster sugar
360g   plain flour
370g  caster sugar
1tsp  salt
1 ½tsp  baking powder
½tsp   bicarbonate of soda
380g  Rachel’s Low Fat Rhubarb Bio Live Yogurt
2Eggs
Vanilla extract
70g  unsalted butter, melted
250g  raspberries 
Makes 12  Preparation time  40 minutes
Method
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3 and line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases. Begin by making the crumble, add all ingredient to a bowl or food mixer and rub in the fat until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, place to one side.
  2. .To make the muffins place the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl (ideally use a food mixer), mix ingredients together.
  3. .Add the yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract to the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
  4. .Add the melted butter and whisk well to incorporate and ensure the batter is smooth and even.
  5. .Finally fold in the raspberries gently to disperse.
  6. .Spoon the mixture into the cases filling them almost to the top, generously sprinkle the muffins with the crumble mixture.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and bounce back when pressed.  Leave to cool in the tin slightly before removing onto a cooling rack.
There are more yogurt filled recipes coming soon!

No comments:

copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...