analytics

30 Jan 2011

Foodie Fun - Kettle Chips

I'm really rubbish at eating food when I should do, it's a long story but basically I had a bad eating disorder in my mid-teens and I don't recognise hunger like most people do. This means I have ended up with a bad habit of snacking. Terrible I know, especially when I have maintained the same healthy weight for years now, but it makes me eat little and often and it works.  It worked until my long stay at home on sick from work.  I ate bad snacks and piled on a few pounds. I was gutted, so I promised to start the year with healthy snacks that are better for me and contain better things.  So this week, to kick off my new Foodie Fun feature I have ditched my fave Walkers ready salted crisps for something bigger, chunkier and tastier. 

I  give you The Kettle Chip.



If you haven't heard of Kettle Chips then you have been missing out, as I have come to realise whilst eating the whole bag is that you need them in your life if you are a lover of all things crispy. Why it's called a chip, I don't know, but some of the bigger crisps are almost as large as a chip so I can begin to see the confusion.  I've gone for the lightly salted ones as plain crisps are my crisp of choice. The bag is plain white and doesn't tell me anything I don't need to know.

Kettle Chips
Lightly Salted
Absolutely nothing artificial
150g

Excellent!  Obviously the back of the packet contains all the information that I try not to look at when I buy snacks for me but with Kettle Chips it's not actually that bad! On the left is some more information about Kettle and on the right is a few facts about the chips and the usual ingredients and nutritional information.  Kettle chips are hand cooked potato chips and my packet contains only three things, selected potatoes, sunflower oil and sea salt.  That's a good thing! It means no nasty MSGs, artificial colours or flavours, no hydrogenated fat (they are the bad kind) and they know where all the ingredients come from.  The nutritional values were listed for per 100g 

Energy 2015 kJ / 482 kcal
Protein 6.3g
Carbohydrate 56.0g
of which sugars 0.9g
Fat 25.8g
of which saturates 2.9g
Fibre 5.1g
Sodium 0.36g
Equivalent as Salt 0.9g

The packet also has a handy "Each 40g serving contains" box in relation to the recommended daily allowances with the figures in the traffic light system boxes.
Calories (Yellow) 193 or 10%
Sugar (Green) 0.4g or 1%
Fat (Red) 10.3g or 15%
Saturates (Yellow) 1.2g or 6%
Salt (Yellow) 0.4g or 6%

The bag boasts that they like to keep things simple and seems to have a good philosophy on how to do so.
 
"We always insist on using the best potatoes we can find, hand cook them with care in small batches, then season with simple great tasting combinations of ingredients.
So what you get are naturally crunchy and tasty chips, each one a little different from the last.
There's no need to add anything artificial - MSG, artificial flavours, colours and the like.
And that's the way it's been for over 25 years. Simple really."



The bag opened easily and the smell was divine. Salty and spuddy, almost earthy and it was a nicer smell than I expected. Before I put one in my mouth I knew they were living up to the simple thing.  The taste is far superior than just your average crisp and the salt is just right for me. This is what I have always wanted from a crisp.  They are super crunchy and even if I have drank a whole pint of juice in the last ten minute of writing this the saltiness is very satisfying on my tongue.  I always eat plain "ready salted" crisps with grated cheese, dirty habit since aged 7. Kettle Chips are far too good for that. It's too late, the crunch has been heard from the other side of the room by Mr Wright and he had to have a handful... or two! He said they are possibly the best crisps in the world, ever. He hates plain crisps usually so they must be good if they have the thumbs up from my significant other!


For more information on Kettle Chips you can visit their website www.kettlefoods.co.uk whilst you are there I strongly suggest that you go and look at their range of fab and amazing flavours so you too can become a crispy convert!  They also make vegetable chips too for when you feel too guilty to eat a potato chip or when you fancy a change. I'll let you in on a little secret... They taste great too!


You can purchase Kettle Chips Lightly Salted 150g bags from Sainsburys and Tesco for approx £1.70


However if the purse strings are tight at the moment you can see my next post and win some Kettle Chips. And who said you can't get something for nothing! (well a follow and a tweet!)




6 comments:

Jo Bryan said...

Yum, my favourite is also salted crisps, and always feel they can be too salty, so these would be my chip of choice I must try them, lovely review.

haxel said...

I also prefer plain salted crisps. I love Kettle Crisps - they really are superior to other cheaper brands.

I have tweeted as @beachrambler (and I already followed)

Michelle Hollingsbee said...

My favourite are cheese & onion :)
Great post x

Tweeted and follow i'm @Mooncheese78

mummy24 said...

i love the vegetable ones the best, they are so good! @ashlallan

Rhoda said...

I love salted crisps - perfect for dipping! @justforcomps

bloomers said...

I do really like Kettle Chips but don't buy them very often because of the price

copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...